ARC General


Core Values

Mission Statement


Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us

Employment Opportunities

ARC Frequently Asked Questions

On this page, you'll find some Frequently Asked Questions about some of our more popular programs:


  1. What do you provide?

    We provide community-based, women-specific, alcohol and other drug abuse day treatment and outpatient programming for low-income women with additional services designed specifically for the children of the mothers served. We offer on-site, state-licensed child-care and are also a Certified Mental Health provider. The groups that we provide include:

    • AODA Therapy Group
    • AODA education
    • Process Group
    • Anger Management
    • Health and Wellness
    • Family and Relationships
    • Case Management
    • Mom and Meís
    • Trauma
    • Relapse Prevention
    • Spirituality

  2. How much does treatment cost? Do I have to have insurance?

    There is no cost for our services to Dane County residents and you do not need to have insurance.

  3. How do I access treatment?

    Accessing services is quite simple and just involves making a phone call. Call 608.283.6426 to set up an intake/assessment appointment. The intake/assessment appointment takes approximately 1-2 hours.

  4. Do I need to have children to receive treatment?

    While our focus is on women and their children, women do not have to have children to receive services.

  5. What if I need childcare?

    We provide on-site childcare for all of our services at no cost to the participant. For our day services the childcare accepts children up to 6 years old. For our evening services the childcare accepts children up to 12 years old.

  6. What if I need transportation?

    We provide cab rides for those with Medical Assistance or bus tickets for anyone who needs them.

  7. What if I need help with housing and employment?

    We have an experienced case manager that assists the participants with any case management needs (including housing, employment, medical issues, education/job training, etc).

  8. What If I need help with parenting?

    We have an experienced child and family therapist that provides services to women and their children. Our programming focuses on parenting and the mother-child relationship. These are explored in our parenting and mom-n-me groups and in individual sessions.

  9. What if Iím pregnant and need treatment?

    We have a program called ďHealthy BeginningsĒ that is specifically designed for pregnant women. This program offers the opportunity to work with our health educator around pregnancy and post-partum issues including prenatal and postnatal care, infant care education, and coordination of birth coaches, through both individual counseling and group sessions. Pregnant women are a priority for admissions and the waiting list.

  10. What If I work during the day and need treatment?

    We provide programming in the evening hours for those who are unable to attend programming during the day. The evening program has some flexibility in addressing the needs of those working during the day.

Fond du Lac Services for Women and Their Children

  1. What are the services you offer?

    We provide comprehensive, community-based, women-specific, alcohol and other drug abuse day treatment and outpatient programming for low-income women with additional services designed specifically for mothers wanting help with parenting and relationships. The program is designed for women who need intensive services to treat their addiction, but do not require a residential or inpatient program. The groups we provide include:

    • AODA Therapy Group
    • AODA Education
    • Anger Management
    • Health and Wellness Education and Experiences
    • Family and Relationships
    • Case Management
    • Trauma
    • Relapse Prevention
    • Spirituality

    Individual counseling focuses on recovery and related issues, including relationships, parenting, emotional problems, housing, jobs, and other common conditions.

    All women admitted to the program must enroll in our day treatment services initially. This service typically requires attendance during the day five days a week Ė six hours a day on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday with three hours required on Thursday morning. Once the initial phase of the program is complete, some women attend less frequently during their transition to outpatient or continuing care services.

  2. Do I have to have children to enroll?

    No. While most of the women enrolled do have children, that is not a requirement.

  3. How long is the program?

    That depends on the individual. Since this is a comprehensive program for women with serious addiction problems, we address all important aspects of a womanís life. We have found that unless a woman has safe housing, a job or means of reliable, sufficient income, good relations with her family and children, a stable and reliable support system that includes other women and other factors, she will have difficulty maintaining a sober lifestyle. Addiction has a profound effect on all these areas of the lives of the women we serve. Consequently, most women are enrolled for approximately four months.

  4. Do I have to live in Fond du Lac to enroll?

    No. There is no requirement that you be a resident of any particular city or county in Wisconsin. Since this is not a residential program, however, women must commute. Most women have found that a commute of 25 miles or so is reasonable. If you need public transportation to treatment, we can assist by providing bus tickets.

  5. Iíve heard I need to be on probation to enroll in the program. Is that true?

    No. ARC does have programs that are specifically designed for women in the criminal justice system, but the addiction treatment programs do not require that.

  6. How much does the treatment cost?

    There is no charge for the program. We are grant-funded and provide free services to low income women.

  7. How do I get help with housing or employment?

    We have a Case Manager on staff who concentrates on the basic living issues that many of our clients face (i.e. housing, employment, food, clothing, etc). We also coordinate our services with other community agencies to provide each woman with a variety of options to obtain the services she needs.

  8. How about help with parenting?

    We have a Child and Family Therapist on staff. A licensed mental health professional, she works with each woman on parenting, physical and mental health issues and will coordinate care with each womanís physician and her therapist in the community, if she has one.

  9. Is there a waiting list?

    We often have short waiting list of a few weeks. We can begin treatment with weekly outpatient sessions until there is room in the day treatment program.

  10. What if I start the program and find that itís not for me?

    Our goal is to ensure that women who need help for alcohol or drug problem get the help they need. The staff will work with you to find you a program that fits your needs and can address your problems.

ARC Maternal & Infant Program

  1. How is a referral made to the ARC Maternal & Infant Program?

    ARC MIP has a total of 12 beds, 8 of which are contracted with the State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections. A Probation Agent must make a referral through the Maternal & Infant Programís DOC Liaison Agent. For the other 4 beds, referrals must come through ARC CWC, HB, IOP, DTC, TAP, or Respect. It is strongly encouraged for anyone interested in making a referral to call ARC MIP and speak with the Program Manager who will be able to provide more detail and direction regarding the referral process.

  2. Does a woman have to be under the supervision of the Department of Corrections to be part of the program?

    No. A woman who is not currently under DOC supervision may be referred to MIP through ARC CWC, HB, IOP, DTC, TAP, or Respect.

  3. Does a woman have to have AODA issues to be part of the program?

    No, a woman who does not have issues with addiction may be referred to the program. Individual case planning allows for each woman to focus on her individual situation and current struggles.

  4. Is ARC MIP a certified AODA treatment facility?

    ARC MIP is not a certified AODA treatment facility; however, residents of MIP are able to attend full time treatment at ARC Healthy Beginnings and ARC Center For Women and Children, which are certified out patient treatment facilities.

  5. What is the length of residency for a Department of Corrections client?

    Six months is the normal length of stay.

  6. What help is available for parenting skills?

    ARC MIP has a Parent Educator on staff who meets with women individually to assist them with their parenting skills, educate, connect with community resources and offer support. A weekly parenting group is also held on site at ARC MIP.

  7. What is the age limit for a child to live with her/his mother at the Maternal & Infant Program?

    At the time of admission, a child must be under the age of one year.

  8. Can older children visit their mother at ARC Maternal & Infant Program?

    Yes, if a woman has children older than one year, they are welcome to visit their mother throughout her residency.

  9. What areas of a womanís life are addressed while she is in the program?

    An individual case plan is developed for each woman focusing on her criminality, parenting, AODA issues, vocational/educational needs, and womenís issues (including, but not limited to health, relationships, self esteem, communication, and nutrition). Residents also attend weekly educational/experiential groups addressing the same areas previously named.

  10. Does a woman receive help finding employment and housing?

    Yes, case managers work individually with each woman to help her find housing and employment and any relevant resources in the community. Additionally, the residents attend a weekly Vocational group that focuses on enhancing skills relevant to obtaining and maintaining employment.

ARC Dayton House

  1. Can anyone refer me to ARC Dayton?

    Only your probation and parole agent can refer you to ARC Dayton.

  2. Can I have any of my children live with me?

    Your children cannot live with you at ARC Dayton, but they will be allowed to visit you.

  3. Can my stay be extended?

    Only if your agent presents the extention in accordance with rules at ARC Dayton.

  4. If I have a relapse, will I go back to jail?

    We work individually with each resident of ARC Dayton on relapse issues.

  5. Can I work while Iím at ARC Dayton?

    Yes, you can work up to full-time.

  6. Can I have visitors at ARC Dayton?

    Children can visit from your first day, all others can visit after the first two weeks.

  7. Can I bring my car?

    Only if you are a Federal client.

  8. Do I have my own room?

    ARC Dayton houses residents at two to a room.

  9. Do I have control of my finances while Iím a resident?

    Yes, you control your finances with help from your Case Manager while you are a resident.

  10. Do I ever get passes to leave?

    You will be awarded passes to leave for visits as you show responsibility and accountability.

ARC House

  1. How can I get into your program?

    We are a licensed drug and alcohol residential treatment facility for women offenders. We have 15 beds which are contracted through the State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections. You must go through your probation or parole agent to be referred.

  2. Does a women have to have AODA issues to be a part of the program?


  3. How long is your program?

    120 days/4 months

  4. When can my children visit?

    Once you enter the program your children can visit during daily visiting hours. If a child is under 8 years of age, weekend overnight visits can be arranged.

  5. When can I go to work?

    After the 2 week probationary period you can start looking for employment.

  6. Can I bring my car?

    No. Your personal vehicle cannot come with you to ARC House.

  7. Do I have my own room?

    Most rooms are double rooms for two residents.

  8. Do you help with housing?

    Case managers assist the women in exploring housing options through private landlords and community agencies.

  9. Do I ever get passes to leave?

    After your probationary period, passes are available if you follow the rules of conduct while at ARC House.

  10. Do I pay any rent?

    No. Room and board are provided to you at no cost.


  1. What is prostitution?

    Prostitution is violence against women. It is sexual exploitation, one of the worst forms of womenís inequality, and a violation of any personís human rights. Prostitution is a system that includes casual, brothel, escort agency, mail order bride selling, sex tourism and trafficking in women. All prostitution exploits women, regardless of womenís consent. Prostitution is sexual exploitation that can prey on women and children made vulnerable by poverty, and women who have been victims of childhood sexual abuse. It affects all women, justifies the sale of any woman, and reduces all women to sex. Sexual exploitation includes prostitution, rape, incest, battering, pornography and sexual harassment.

  2. What is Project RESPECT?

    Project RESPECT is a womenís center that provides advocacy, case management, counseling, crisis intervention, transitional housing and peer support group services for women with prostitution histories that have changed or want to change their lives. We provide a safe and non-judgmental place to meet and talk with other women with similar histories. We assist women to have increased options available to them and reach their goals. Women served include: survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, childhood sexual abuse, women with chemical dependency and vocational issues.

  3. How is prostitution related to trauma?

    For many prostituted women, prostitution replicates the sexual abuse suffered in the home. (Silbert, 1982) While there is not simple cause-effect relationship between child sexual abuse and prostitution, prior sexual abuse, particularly when it has been sustained over time, predisposes women and makes them vulnerable to other sexual exploitation and to not fighting back. (Barry, 1995)

  4. Is prostitution a problem in our community?

    Yes. Anywhere that you find family violence and gender inequality you will find prostitution.

  5. How does Project RESPECT work to end prostitution in our community?

    RESPECT cannot end prostitution. Prostitution is a community issue that requires a broad community response. Ending prostitution must be included in our community discussions to end all forms of violence against women. RESPECT staff serve on state (Office of Justice Assistance, Violence Against Women Act, Anti-Trafficking Committee), county (Dane County Commission on Sensitive Crimes) and city level groups to address issues faced by prostituted women.

  6. Are prostituted women protected by the Federal Trafficking Victims Protection Act?

    Yes. The Federal TVPA protects persons trafficked in domestic prostitution. The TVPA protects you whether the coercion is physical or psychological, whether the threats of violence are acted upon or not.

  7. Why should I care about prostituted women?

    Because prostituted women could be our sisters, daughters, mothers, and friends. The sexual exploitation of women victimizes women both within and outside prostitution.

  8. How do I make a referral? How do I start?

    Contact 283-6435 for an intake appointment and assessment with a case manager. Appointment hours can be arranged to meet individual needs and schedules. Self-referrals and referrals from human service agencies, law enforcement, departments of corrections and others are welcomed. Individual service plans are developed with each woman to meet her needs. Individualized goals for each woman may include: successful family reintegration with children, finding employment or other lawful source of income, securing safe/affordable housing, accessing substance abuse treatment and/or mental health counseling.

  9. What can you do to help?

    Expand your definition of sexual assault and violence against women to include prostitution. Work to change attitudes, behaviors and values in our society that support or tolerates sexual exploitation. Support Project RESPECT. Donations of adult and childrenís clothing, small and large household items, office equipment and supplies, and financial support to help meet basic needs is greatly appreciated.

Project Smart Start


Frequently Asked Questions



Project Contact Information

Paulette Romashko, Project Director
ARC Community Services, Inc.
2001 West Beltline Hwy, Suite 102
Madison, WI 53713
Phone: 608-278-2300
Fax: 608-278-2313

Copyright © 2006, ARC Community Services, All Rights Reserved.